• Translate My Blog

    My Blog is about many things, adult adoptee, autism, family, laughter, and love, feel free to follow me on my journey, and look through my archives. It takes more than one subject to define me or my family. We are a mixture of a bit of everything!


    Open Adoption Blogs Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Software

    Thursday, April 15, 2010

    He Likes It!



    My 3yr old son has a fascination with Legos. It's his main Autistic Quirk. Seriously, he will not play with anything else. Any shape or size of Lego. He takes them and lays them all out on the floor. He picks up a Lego in each hand and smack them side by side, kind of like he's clapping. After a couple smacks, always in even numbers, he evaluates the Legos then begins his connecting. He connects in even numbers as well. He makes two stacks. Usually he uses the bigger size Legos.

    (he's in a lego-induced zone)

    After he's completed his two stacks one in each hand, even numbers only, he holds them up to measure the size. We've noticed usually the bigger Legos consist of 8 Legos. Then he smacks them together in even number smacks only, and watches them fall, and begins again. Usually it doesn't bother me but I do have a problem with repetitive sounds. Because he is still putting things in his mouth we can't get the smaller sets yet to see if he would build or make huge projects. Which of course is my Lego dream not his, lol! Some folks push there kids into instruments or sports they wanted to play, I've tweaked things to my situation and have a dream of a Lego Master. My son will take your son down on ESPN Lego Olympics one day!! 
    That is when they make a Lego Olympics. Hey! Don't Judge I can dream can't I? 

    Lately the Legos have been driving me crazy. We have been buying sensory toys, other connecting toys, books, blah blah blah... I mean seriously I own Geoffry the Giraffes ass!! Nothing!! Legos Legos Legos!! So the other day we grab the mail key and check the mail.


    There is a package from Supahmommy. There is this little stuffed green frog in it. I'm thinking oh that will look cute on the kids shelf in there room.... then...... wait for it..... wait for it....
    Tafari throws his Legos across the room (almost taking my eye out by the way) and rips the frog out of my hand. He holds it, luvs it, rocks it, squeezes it...




    and the kid who never Sleeps......
    has a Meltdown-Free night
    and goes casually to sleep with it!



    17 comments:

    Danielle said...

    That is SO sweet. Supah does rock! How thoughtful!

    Amy said...

    what an amazing post.. Thanks for sharing..

    I have awards today if you want to stop by and get some..

    I hope you post this for Family Fridays or something like this.. Thanks...

    Oka said...

    Supah has a God sent talent, I swear.

    I am imagining how much peace this little frog brought you. I am so happy for both of you.

    supahmommy- somethin's wrong with that girl said...

    That is INCREDIBLE. I'm so happy he liked it. I wonder what it is? You'll have to test other ones to see if he likes. I have a whole bunch.. i'll send! We'll do a "test" lol

    they're at least quieter huh!?

    AND THERE ARE LEGO COMPETITIONS DEAR!
    xoxoxooo
    much love for little T.. my girls talk about him all the time now.

    Kmama said...

    That is so awesome. I loathe legos too. Just wait until he DOES start playing with the smaller ones. They are so much worse than the big ones. Grr.

    Supah is such a wonderful person.

    Evonne said...

    That is awesome about the frog!

    I bet he would love Legoland when he's older! Or would that be over-stimulation? Sorry, but I'm still trying to learn more about autism.

    Jane said...

    That's "Supah"!!!!!!!

    BTW, I like even numbers too :).

    Shana Putnam said...

    That is so amazing. Awesomeness.

    Unknown said...

    You rock Supah! And those pictures are so darn cute!!!!!

    Trish said...

    My son used to want to stack Legos but would get upset when they would fall over on the carpet. I couldn't get him to move two feet into the kitchen to use the vinyl floor, or to stack different sizes together so there would be a base.

    So glad we are past that particular issue, although flexibility is always difficult!

    Debby@Just Breathe said...

    Supah is so sweet. This is an adorable story. Love the pictures of him sleeping with the frog.

    The Henrys said...

    That is so cool! I would love for my daughter to find something that she likes as much as that frog!! She never plays with anything and we have tried everything available. However, she does like the large legos and will play with them for a few minutes at a time.

    william manson said...

    I used to love lego, ah sweet memories, great pics :)

    The adventure of a redneck mommy. said...

    be thankful he only has big ones.. have you ever gotten up in the middle of night to check on a screaming kid and stepped on a little Lego..NOT FUN.. my son is not autistic but LOVES his mega blocks he plays with them for HOURS.. we also only have big ones cause he has PICA and puts EVERYTHING in his mouth..at ten months old we had to have a penny surgically removed from his esophagus. HE is 2. and ALL Boy ..

    The Princess of Sarcasm said...

    We should get our kids together to play legos! :)

    They can be roommates when they go on the road for all the lego competitions. lol

    Alea Milham said...

    How adorable! Pass the petition for the lego olympics, I'll sign it! :)

    Loco YaYa said...

    sha' sweet baby! isnt it nuts when the most unexpeted thing can bring peace? my oldest, Big'K, hers was a stuffed moo cow. she STILL has it. shes 12. and brings it everywhere. i love that cow. it brought me a ton of peace when she was that age.

     

    .